Why impeaching Deputy President William Ruto is no walk in the park
- A gross violation of a provision of this Constitution or any other law
- Where there are serious reasons to believe that the Deputy President has committed a crime under national or international law
- For gross misconduct.
SEE ALSO :How Kutuny united Uhuru and DP RutoThe Constitution also stipulates that the same procedure used to remove the President also applies to the removal of the Deputy President “with the necessary modifications” applying the provisions of Articles 144 and 145. According to the sections, removing the Deputy President by impeachment with the necessary legal modifications in place will entail: A member of the National Assembly, supported by at least a third of all the members, moving a motion for the impeachment of the Deputy President on the grounds of:
- A gross violation of a provision of this Constitution or of any other law
- Serious reasons for believing that the Deputy President has committed a crime under national or international law
- Gross misconduct
- The Speaker shall inform the Speaker of the Senate of that resolution within two days; and
- The Deputy President shall continue to perform the functions of the office pending the outcome of the proceedings required by the law.
- The Speaker of the Senate shall convene a meeting of the Senate to hear charges against the Deputy President; and
- The Senate, by resolution, may appoint a special committee comprising eleven of its members to investigate the matter.
SEE ALSO :Gloves off as Ruto man tells off UhuruThe special committee appointed shall:
- Investigate the matter; and
- Report to the Senate within ten days whether it finds the particulars of the allegations against the Deputy President to have been substantiated.
- Have not been substantiated, further proceedings shall not be taken under this Article in respect of that allegation; or
- Have been substantiated, the Senate shall, after according the President an opportunity to be heard, vote on the impeachment charges.
Register to advertise your products & services on our classifieds website Digger.co.ke and enjoy one month subscription free of charge and 3 free ads on the Standard newspaper.