Fire destroys dorm at Nyabisase DEB Primary School

A police officer inspects the damage in the aftermath of the fire. [Sammy Omingo, Standard]
A boys’ dormitory was razed at Nyabisase DEB Primary School in Bobasi Constituency.

Over 130 pupils lost all personal belongings in the Sunday night incident.

According to Nyamache sub-county Director of Education Linet Onduso, efforts by students from the nearby Nyabisase Secondary School and the community to put out the fire failed.

“Eight students were injured in the commotion at the institution. They were treated and discharged,” said Ms Onduso.

She maintained that the cause of the fire was yet to be established, adding that a committee has been instituted to investigate the incident.

A team of security officers, education officials and the school management held a closed-door meeting yesterday as they sought the way forward for the school. The institution is among the few primary schools in Kisii with more than two streams per class.

After the incident, the school’s management converted one classroom into a dormitory.

Parents who spoke to The Standard said they suspected the fire was caused by an electrical fault.

We are undertaking a survey to help us improve our content for you. This will only take 1 minute of your time, please give us your feedback by clicking HERE. All responses will be confidential.

Nyabisase DEB Primary SchoolNyabisase school fire