The Kenya Red Cross Society has revealed that 50 victims of Tuesday’s tragic DusitD2 Hotel terror attack are yet to be accounted for.
In a press release seen by Standard Digital, the humanitarian body has however exuded confidence on the progress of accounting for the victims.
The body says that out of 94 people who were reported missing on Wednesday afternoon, 44 cases have been positively settled.
“A total of 94 cases were reported missing as of 16th January 2019 at 1500hrs, 44 cases had been closed positively while 50 cases remain pending,” reads the statement.
It further indicates that atleast 30 people sustained injuries in the attack and were taken to different Hospitals such as MP Shah, Aga Khan, Avenue Park, Coptic among many other health facilities.
It further says that 700 people were evacuated from the DusitD2 building after the terror attack which resulted in 14 deaths.
Red Cross has also urged family members who have been affected by the attack to seek psychological help, adding that 180 people have already been assisted.
Statement reads: “Psychosocial support is also underway due to the trauma experienced by those affected both directly and indirectly.This is a service that is also being offered via telephone (on call) for those unable to access the counsellors stationed at the Chiromo campus and Chiromo mortuary.”
It has given numbers 1199 or 0715 820219 for the members of the public seeking psychological counseling to reach out to them.
Earlier on Wednesday, the Police arrested two suspects linked to the terror attack in Ruaka and Eastleigh. The officers have also cordoned off a house in Ruaka Estate, which they believe was inhabited by one of the terror suspects.
In his national address, President Uhuru Kenyatta lauded the efforts of the Security Forces in neutralizing the attackers and evacuating people who were trapped in the building.
President Uhuru declared the operation complete saying that the country is now safe and Kenyans should not panic.
Register to advertise your products & services on our classifieds website Digger.co.ke and enjoy one month subscription free of charge and 3 free ads on the Standard newspaper.