Police have summoned politician Steve Mbogo after he appeared at the Dusit Hotel complex in a bullet-proof vest armed with a semi-automatic rifle.
Speaking to a local TV station, Mbogo said he wanted to help the rescue workers.
“I am a licensed firearms holder, I was running my errands near the DusitD2 Hotel when I learnt that the facility was under a terror attack. Because I was in a position to help, given I have good knowledge on how to handle firearms and protect myself against such situations, I went in to help.”
Mbogo took photos and videos of the scene, sharing them on social media.
In one video clip, he is seen walking around the scene and talking about the direction the gunmen took during the raid.
Kenyans on the platforms criticised him for his actions, saying he was not offering much help.
Others said he was only after the publicity that came with the goings-on at Dusit complex.
Inspector General of Police Joseph Boinnet urged the public to “flag such disturbing images or information to bring them to the attention of the authorities.”
Boinnet added that sharing such tragic photos fuels the terrorists’ plan to instil fear.
In December last year, all licensed gun holders in the country were slated to undergo vetting and re-registration and be issued with an electronic identification document.
During the exercise, those with licenses to own guns were to appear with their weapons before the Firearms Licensing Board.
A multi-agency team was working on regulations to guide the process slated to take 90 days from December 18.