52 admitted with food poisoning in Bomet now discharged

Fifty-two people taken ill after consuming toxic food at a village in Bomet have been discharged from hospital.

Bomet Medical Services and Public Health executive Joseph Sitonik said the group was discharged after fully recovering.

“I can confirm that they were fully recovered from the poisoning and we took them back to their home,” said Sitonik in a statement on Saturday afternoon.

He said they would be following up on them to check on their condition on Monday.

“Doctors have given them a clean bill of health but we must do a follow-up.”

The group attended a funeral at Tabook village in Mutarakwa, Bomet Central.

Sitonik said they were diagnosed with food poisoning.

He said the food they ate must have been contaminated either during preparation or service.

The group was taken to Longisa County Referral on Friday morning after complaining of abdominal pain and diarrhoea.

One of the victims said they were served rice and beef stew.

A campaign on hygiene and safe handling of food has been launched at the village.

Administration executive Justus Maina is leading the hygiene campaign.

“We are advocating for the use of chefs in such gatherings to avoid many people coming in contact with the food to reduce contamination,” he said.

Maina added that the incident could have been avoided.

Bomet CentralBomet Medical Services and Public Health executive Joseph SitonikLongisa County Referral