Confusion mars national rollout of new curriculum

Education CS Amina Mohamed(L) and her PS.Belio Kipsang when they appeared before the Senate Education Committee at Parliament on Tuesday 11/12/18. [Photo: Boniface Okendo,Standard]

The Ministry of Education has hinted at possible postponement of the national rollout of the new curriculum.

Education Cabinet Secretary Amina Mohamed on Tuesday gave the strongest indication that the much-hyped rollout of the new school curriculum could be postponed.

“The rollout of the new curriculum is important, but it cannot be rushed,” the CS told members of the Senate Education Committee today.

Officially launched

SEE ALSO :Magoha plans meetings over new curriculum

Amina said the new 2-6-3-3 Competency Based Curriculum (CBC), which was supposed to be launched in January, has been put on hold.

“The design is fantastic but the devil is in the detail of implementation. We are doing all we can as a ministry to bring stakeholders on board,” the CS, accompanied by Basic Education Principal Secretary Belio Kipsang told the committee.

The minister said this would pave way for further engagement with stakeholders and also accord the ministry ample time to train its personnel before the implementation of the new curriculum.

The shocking turn of events comes weeks after Amina promised that the national rollout of Grade One to Three in all schools would start next January.

Plans had been underway for the new curriculum, with steering committee scheduled to meet tomorrow. The meeting was to take place on Monday but was postponed.

SEE ALSO :Education ministry should clarify the location of junior secondary

It is now not clear whether the national curriculum conference scheduled for December 17 will kick off.

We are undertaking a survey to help us improve our content for you. This will only take 1 minute of your time, please give us your feedback by clicking HERE. All responses will be confidential.

Ministry of EducationAmina MohamedStalledNew Curriculum