Mother and son die in house fire
An 86 year old granny and her son died after their residential house burnt down at Kitare village in Homa Bay County.
According to area Chief Moses Odhiambo Ongere, the woman identified as Esther Omollo and her son Mark Omollo, 36, were using a tin lamp in their house, which caught fire, burning the entire structure.
Ongere said Omollo's children who were in the house with their grandmother raised an alarm to alert their father and neighbours of what was happening.
When Omollo arrived at the scene, he found that his mother had locked herself in a burning house. He broke the door and entered the house to save her.
SEE ALSO :Village loaning scheme that focuses on child health
However, some materials fell on them before they moved out of the fire.
“Both of them were overwhelmed by the fire which burnt them beyond recognition,” said Ongere.
The administrator said efforts by neighbours to rescue the grandmother and her son proved futile.
“I liaised with the police officers who removed the bodies to Rachuonyo South Sub County Hospital mortuary as investigations commence,” he added.
No property was salvaged during the inferno.
homa bay countykiller fire