Two people were injured and property worth millions of shillings destroyed when a fire broke out in Homa Bay town.
Elvin Atieno, 21, and her one-year-old daughter sustained burns and were rushed to Homa Bay County Referral Hospital.
ALSO READ: Five- year-old dies in Boxing Day fire
The fire burnt down 15 business premises after efforts by residents to put it out failed. A trader, Sophie Achieng’, said the fire razed her goods worth Sh2 million.
“The fire burnt my entire store of goods comprising furniture equipment and other items. The incident has caused more trouble in my family after injuring my daughter and grandchild,” said Achieng’.
MCAs Joan Ogada of Kojwach ward, Michael Nyang’i (Kochia) and Charles Awino (Gem East) promised to create legislation that will cushion the residents against losses caused by fire.