You are here  » Home   » Kenya

Fallen leader's requiem mass to be held today

By Daniel Psirmoi | Published Fri, January 6th 2017 at 00:00, Updated January 5th 2017 at 21:50 GMT +3
The late Mark Too's funeral arrangement press briefing (From right) Oscar Sudi, Kapseret MP, Kiprop Chirchir the family spokesman, Tom Ojienda and Tito John the family lawyers address the press together with (from back left) Kipkemei Too the son, wives Sophie Too and Mary Too, Kiprop Paul. This was at the family home in Nairobi on 05/01/2017. PHOTO BY PIUS CHERUIYOT

A requiem mass for former nominated MP Mark Too will be held at the AIC Milimani Church in Nairobi today.

The body of the late politician, which is lying at the Lee Funeral Home, will be brought to the church at 10am, according to members of the funeral committee.

Speaking to journalists at the family home in Nairobi's Muthaiga estate yesterday, committee chairman Kiprop Chirchir said all the preparations were complete and the former lawmaker would be buried at his home in Eldoret on Monday.

"After the mass at Milimani AIC, the body will be taken back to Lee Funeral Home. At 7am on Sunday, the body will be airlifted to Eldoret," said Mr Chirchir, who was accompanied by family lawyer Tom Ojienda and Kapseret MP Oscar Sudi.

According to Chirchir, an inter-denominational requiem mass will be held at Too's farm next to Eldoret International Airport.

downplayed fears

Know if news is factual and true. Text 'NEWS' to 22840 and always receive verified news updates.

At the press briefing also attended by Too's widows Sophie and Mary, the family, through Prof Ojienda, downplayed fears that the burial could be stopped because of a court case.

On Wednesday, Fatuma Ramadhan Hassan, who claims she had a son with Too, went to the High Court in Nairobi and obtained orders stopping his burial, pending the hearing and determination of the suit.

In an application the court certified as urgent, Ms Ramadhan wants the politician's remains to be preserved until her 16-year -old son is included in the funeral arrangements.

Too died on New Year's eve.

But Ojienda yesterday said the family had not received any orders from the court that would halt the funeral programme and insisted that burial arrangements would continue as planned.

"We have not received any orders on the matter. The family will give their loved one a befitting send-off as planned," said Ojienda.

Too died at Eldoret St Luke's Hospital where he was rushed in critical condition.

Would you like to get published on Standard Media websites? You can now email us breaking news, story ideas, human interest articles or interesting videos on: [email protected]