12 in Murang’a hospital after eating infected meat

Twelve people are admitted to Murang’a District Hospital after eating meat from a cow suffering from anthrax.

Scores of residents of Karurumo and Kanyenya-ini villages in Kangema were rushed to hospital on Monday after they developed symptoms related to anthrax.

The first group of nine, who were complaining of diarrhoea and vomiting, were taken to Kangema health centre and were later referred to Murang’a District Hospital. Three others were later taken to the same facility. 

They claim to have got the meat from a neighbour they identified as John Gichinga.


Grace Wambui, her husband and children were also victims.

The incident came barely four days after a man in Giatutu village in Gatanga died and 25 others were admitted to hospital after eating meat from an uninspected cow.

Medics say victims are in a stable condition.

Murang’a County Health Chief Officer Joseph Mbai warned locals against eating meat from unknown sources.

Mr Mbai said the man who distributed the meat has since gone into hiding.

Public health officers, he said, had been mobilised to conduct health education in Karurumo and neighbouring villages, urging those who could have eaten the meat to seek treatment.

“The suspect is presently at large but in future the locals must exercise a lot of caution to ensure they buy meat from licensed outlets to avoid catching diseases,” he said.

At the same time, one of the victims who ate meat from a dead cow in Giatutu village in Gatanga last week and contracted anthrax has been referred to Murang’a District Hospital for specialised treatment.

The victim who had been at Kirwara Sub-district Hospital for four days was referred to Murang’a District Hospital after his condition worsened.