× Digital News Videos Health & Science Opinion Education Columnists Lifestyle Cartoons Moi Cabinets Kibaki Cabinets Arts & Culture Podcasts E-Paper Tributes Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified Jobs Games Crosswords Sudoku The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS
×

Gunmen kill 8 gas project workers in northern Mozambique

AFRICA
By AFP | July 6th 2020

Mozambique troops have been fighting against a jihadist insurgency since 2017

Gunmen ambushed and killed eight employees of a private construction firm working on the multi-billion-dollar gas project in Mozambique's restive north, the company said Sunday.

Northern Mozambique has been hit by a jihadist insurgency since 2017 that has killed more than 1,000 people and complicated the country's plans to develop its offshore gas reserves.

But attacks on workers involved in the liquefied natural gas (LNG) project development have so far been rare.

Fenix Constructions Service Lda, subcontracted by French oil giant Total, said five gunmen wearing military fatigues similar to those worn by the Mozambican government forces staged the attack late last month.

Three of the 14 occupants in the vehicle survived and another three are still missing.

"On Saturday 27th June a vehicle belonging to Fenix Construction, a company that operates in Palma, ...was attacked by five insurgents, approximately four kilometres north of Mocimboa da Praia in Cabo Delgado (province)," the company said in a statement on Sunday.

The attack occurred around 50 kilometres from the Total LNG site in Palma.

On the same day, Islamist militants attacked and temporarily occupied the small town of Mocimboa da Praia for the second time this year, igniting a mass civilian exodus from the town.

Attacks in the region have already killed at least 1,300 people according to The Armed Conflict Location & Event Data Project (ACLED).

The United Nations estimated in May that the attacks had displaced at least 210,000 people. With the recent attacks, the number of displaced people may have reached more than 250,000, according to aid organisations working locally.

The latest Mocimboa da Praia attack was claimed by Islamic State Central African Province, a group that has already revealed its goal of establishing a caliphate in the region.

Despite the unrest in the region, Total has said it will proceed with its $23 billion gas project.

Share this story
Virus pushes US hospitals to the brink, India hits record new cases
The US has struggled to respond to the devastation wrought by the virus
Why Kenyan boxers are winning medals once again
The BFK led by President Anthony ‘Jamal’ Ombok was elected into the office in 2019 and has since...

.
RECOMMENDED NEWS

Feedback