By Gilbert Wandera
"This is a sensitive issue and we must protect the interests of both the player and sponsor. We are going to write to the Fifa legal department to give us an explanation on how to deal with this particular issue," said FKF chairman Sam Nyamweya.
Mr Nyamweya said in his opinion, the player does not deserve to be paid anything since it was not only his image which was used but of the team.
"When it is only one player whose image has been used then the affected player can demand to be paid. In this case they were three players. That represents the whole team.
"When EABL took over as sponsors, they expect to get mileage from the team and the promotion is part of it," said Nyamweya. He said they expect the player to turn up for the June World Cup qualifiers involving Stars.
"We have not done anything wrong to him as a player and we expect that he will be part of the squad that takes part in the qualifiers," he said.
Oliech announced on his Facebook page on Sunday that he was quitting international football. The announcement came days after influential midfielder McDonald Mariga sustained an injury that will keep him out for at least seven months.
The AJ Auxerre strikerâs decision was not surprising, considering he had threatened to quit two weeks ago over a stand-off between him and FKF. The player has been protesting FKFâs and EABLâs failure to resolve issues he raised over compensation for the use of his image on promotional material for the team.
Reached for comment on the latest move, a source close to Oliech said he was disappointed that no solution had been reached and that he maintains his decision to quit.