|Inspector General of police David Kimaiyo|
By STANDARD REPORTER
The Media Council of Kenya has condemned Inspector General of Police David Kimaiyo for summoning Standard Media Group reporters over their coverage of the Westgate mall terror attack.
The council termed the summons against Standard Group’s CEO Sam Shollei together with Kenya Television Network reporters John Allan Namu and Mohamed Ali as an abuse of State power and an assault on the freedom of expression.
Council chairman Joseph Odindo said proper procedure should have been followed with relation to the dispute as stipulated under the new Constitution.
At the same time, two Members of the National Assembly have criticised attempts by the police to intimidate the press. Deputy Speaker and Sotik MP Joyce Laboso and her Suba counterpart John Mbadi termed the police move as unfortunate and uncalled for.
The Kenya Correspondents Association has also said the decision to summon the reporters is a serious affront to media freedom.
Next Story »
- TENNIS: Federer, Nadal, advance at Indian Wells
- Rugby: Simbas roar but coach Parwaater warns charges not to celebrate yet
- Police arrest 88 in major swoop on drunk driving
- School awards KCSE top performers with goats
- Yes, Uhuru pay cut is populist, but CORD should shut up
- Governors, deputies’ silent war intensifies