Malindi kidnappers tried to extract ransom for missing Italian aid worker
By Nehemiah Okwembah | August 2nd 2019
The abductors of a missing Italian aid worker tried to get ransom from the Italian government for her release, according to information released at the start of a trial of two men charged with kidnapping her.
The trial began on Wednesday with a visit by the court and accused persons to a rescue children’s centre in Chakama where Silvia Romano Constanza was kidnapped.
Chakama Chief Macdonald Ngowa said the incident had left many beneficiaries of the Africa Milele organisation stranded.
“I was at a shop with Silvia but I left her after two minutes and went to watch the evening news at another shop. We heard a loud bang followed by shootings,” said Mr Ngowa.
He said Silvia cried out his name for help, saying "Macdonald come and help me" and her voice continued to fade indicating that the attackers had carried her away.
The attackers headed towards Galana River on foot while carrying Silvia.
“Immediately the gunshots stopped I called the Deputy County Commissioner John Kamau and told him an Italian aid worker had been abducted. I also called Lango Baya police boss,” he said.
Take a quick survey and help us improve our website!Take a survey
The hearing continues on August 21, 2019.
Drama as woman storms wedding [PHOTOS]
- High Court judges ignored key issues in ruling on BBI
By Edris Omondi
- Bodies of men allegedly thrown in river recovered
- ‘Israel supports Kenya’s de-escalation stance but must protect its citizens’
- Nullification of BBI wasn't shocking, it was the language used by judges
- Lecturer awarded Sh 416,000 for breach of contract