Photo of Murkomen making tea for census enumerators goes viral
By Fay Ngina | August 26th 2019
A photo of Elgeyo Marakwet Senator Kipchumba Murkomen making tea for census enumerators has gained a lot of traction among Kenyans on social media.
In the photo, Murkomen is seen sitting on a stool lighting up firewood in a traditional kitchen and beside him is a sufuria filled with tea.
The Senator also disclosed that he was once an enumerator in the 1999 census citing that the officials deserved a cup of tea.
“The Census team deserve at least a cup of tea. I know it because I was an enumerator in the Census 1999. In so far as the source of energy we use for cooking in my village is concerned, you can definitely guess the answer,” said Murkomen.
The photo caused a lot of mixed reactions among netizens with some congratulating the Senator for his generosity while others termed it as a public stunt.
The census process begun on Saturday 24 August and is expected to run for a week ending on 31 August.
Knitting diver Tom Daley catches attention at Tokyo Olympics
- Abel Kipsang sets new Olympic record in 1,500m semis
- Thursday notebook: Team Kenya outfit is popular in Tokyo
- Olympics: Kimeli to stage lone battle in 5,000m final
Missing student found dead at university grounds
- Raila agrees to share political party billions with Wiper, other parties
- Unknown people were tracking Wycliffe Omwenga
- Fanfare as Raila meets musicians
By Betty Njeru
- Letter from Ithanga: Murang’a’s unexploited agricultural Canaan
By XN Iraki
- The four options for Kalonzo in 2022 succession