The Importance of Social Media to upcoming artists
By Anthony Mbugua | May 4th 2016
Do you know of any upcoming artist or one who wants to make it in the field of entertainment? I am sure you do. He/she is probably a young person full of dreams and hopes of making it big. I was surprised the other day when I was looking for pictures of this 'established" musician and I only got less than four. It finally hit me, the problem lies with social publicity in the entertainment industry.
Most people in Kenya's entertainment field do not seem to realize how imperative social media is. Here are a few things to consider about social platforms;
Key social media platforms:
All artists especially those who are on the rise should ensure they have a presence on the above platforms. They should also keep the accounts active and participate in conversations online.
What are the benefits?
- Social media give artists and entertainers a broader audience. Imagine a musician who has 4000 followers on twitter and always tries to keep it active? Surely they will have a fighting chance even when it comes to things such as endorsements.
- It is also a way of making connections with potential fans. Accounts such as CelebrityAccess usually hold a Question and Answer (Q&A) session with some artists that are making it and one can simply use this as an opportunity to grow
- You have no idea the number of people with better ideas than yours who are online. Social media is the best way to network with such and see what others are doing.
Tips to use;
Follow as many relevant accounts as possible
Keep the account active by posting often
Participate in trending topics for exposure
Because it is social media, take photos with your friends and others so that they can also post the pics and redirect to your accounts
We are in a very competitive age of the virtual social world and it is therefore upon artists to conquer it and ensure they are visible.
Trouble in Uhuru's 'bedroom' as allies switch camps
- The 5 things Kirubi said I must enjoy in life: Igathe
By Brian Okoth
- Military chopper crashes in Kajiado, goes up in flames
- County finally gets access to DP's property to desilt Grogan canal
- Thika Road horror: Wife recounts last moments with motorist killed in bullet spray
- Court of Appeal constitutes seven-judge bench for BBI appeal cases