Man lynched for raping, killing schoolgirl
By Daniel Psirmoi | October 24th 2014
Mt Elgon; Kenya: A 23-year-old man was on Wednesday killed by an angry mob in Kipsikirok village, Mt Elgon constituency, on suspicion that he had raped and murdered a schoolgirl.
The suspect is said to have kidnapped the 14-year-old girl who had been sent to fetch firewood in the nearby Mt Elgon Forest last Saturday.
Chepyuk Assistant Chief Rodgers Sangula said the naked body of the Kibumet Primary School pupil was found with a slit throat the next day.
"We found the minor's body in the forest on Sunday, a day after she went missing. Her throat had been slit open and she had been raped," Sangula told The Standard by phone.
Cheptais sub-county police boss Ezekiel Kiche appealed to the public not to take the law into their own hands, noting that criminal suspects were more useful to the police when they were alive.
"If we arrest them, they can tell us who their accomplices are," he said.
Italian Jacobs wins men's 100m gold at Tokyo Olympics
- Olympics: Rotich and Korir reach 800m final as Saruni misses out
- Ferdinand Omanyala breaks national record, but fails to make finals
- Chepkoech, Kiyeng through to steeplechase final as Korir disqualified in 400m men heats
Missing student found dead at university grounds
- Raila agrees to share political party billions with Wiper, other parties
- Unknown people were tracking Wycliffe Omwenga
- Fanfare as Raila meets musicians
By Betty Njeru
- Letter from Ithanga: Murang’a’s unexploited agricultural Canaan
By XN Iraki
- The four options for Kalonzo in 2022 succession