A Ugandan footballer known by the name Churchill Owaci was allegedly assaulted and killed by his teammates following a defensive error he made in a local football league game in Lamwo District, Uganda.
According to Fox Sports, the match played during the weekend, saw Churchill’s teammates immediately pounce on him in after the blunder, beating him up in frustration before the match went on.
Agoro Sub-county chairperson Denis Onyon revealed Owaci, in a revenge act, pushed one of his teammates off a bicycle, consequently inducing another brawl.
“Later after the game, the deceased in a revenge act pushed one of the people that had earlier beaten him, from the bicycle which provoked another fight,” Onyon said.
Churchill (22) was rushed to hospital after collapsing a few metres away from the fight scene.
- READ MORE
- Striker left OUT of Champions League game because he couldn't sit in his favourite seat on team bus
- It's time to go green, says world rally boss
- Mathare clubs now have every reason to smile with kits from ‘I Love Africa’
- Kenya Morans to punch above their weight against Senegal
- Champions League: Youthful Barca take care of Dynamo to seal knockout place
- PSG revive Champions League chances with Neymar penalty
“The deceased collapsed a few metres away from the fight scene and was rushed to Agoro Health Centre III, where he was pronounced dead a few hours later,” Onyon explained.
One witness claimed Churchill’s defensive blunders came as a result of the influence of alcohol. According to them, the deceased spent the previous night drinking.
Reports claim two brothers have been apprehended as suspects in a murder investigation.