× Sports Football Rugby Olympics Volleyball and Handball Cricket Boxing Golf Hockey Tennis Gossip & Rumours World Cup 2018 Basketball Athletics Sports Premier League Eliud Kipchoge Women in Sports Unique Sports Opinion Motorsport Videos Podcasts E-Paper Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman Travelog TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified Jobs Games Crosswords Sudoku The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS
×
SPORTS

Rio Ferdinand banned from driving for six months after admitting speeding at 135kmh

SPORTS By Mirror | August 18th 2020
Former Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand. [Reuters]

Former footballer Rio Ferdinand was banned from driving for six months today after being clocked at 85mph in his new Mercedes.

The 41 year-old former Manchester United, Leeds United, West Ham and England star broke the 70mph speed limit on the A27 dual carriageway in Hove, East Sussex.

Ferdinand was convicted of speeding at the Hangleton interchange at 8.27pm on July 22, last year.

He was driving a brand-new grey two-litre diesel Mercedes and admitted the offence under the new secret Single Justice Procedure Act.

The latest offence, which carried three penalty points, was added to the nine he already has and triggered the automatic disqualification.

In this Tuesday, May 13, 2014, Manchester United's Rio Ferdinand takes a "selfie" upon arrival at the Changi International Airport in Singapore [AP Photo/Wong Maye-E]

He argued at Crawley Magistrates Court a ban would amount to "exceptional hardship" because of needing to drive his three children to school, plus other activities.

The COVID pandemic meant a private driver or taxis were out of the question, claimed Ferdinand.

However, this was rejected by magistrate Mr. Geoffrey Allen, who told him: "Unfortunately COVID has effected everybody in the world the same way."

Ferdinand was also fined £670, with £85 costs and ordered to pay a £67 victim surcharge.

Ferdinand was banned in 2012 for six months for speeding three times on the same stretch of road in five-week period.

He was also convicted of speeding in 2005, 2003 and 2002 and drink-driving in 1997.

Ferdinand's last three speeding offences were on March 16, 2017; May 4, 2018 and April 15, last year.

He received three penalty points on his licence each time.

He told the court it was vital he be allowed to continue driving his three children two school and various events, claiming "exceptional hardship" if he was disqualified.

Ruling out his wife taking over driving duties Ferdinand said: "It's very difficult with three children, with different activities and different times at school.

 

Share this story
FKF Electoral Board issues clarification on Candidate Endorsements
According to the Federation, members will be defined as follows:
Cheruiyot floors London Marathon pacesetter Ng'eno
Elijah Cheruiyot shocked London Marathon pacesetter Ben Ng’eno to win the Eldama Ravine Half Marathon as Sharon Chelimo bagged the women’s title in Ba
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS
Feedback