RIO DE JANEIRO, The local organizing committee for the upcoming Rio Olympics is running a deficit of between 400 million and 500 million reais ($121 million to $151 million), a source with direct knowledge of the committee's finances told Reuters on Monday.
The local committee's privately funded budget is what is used to operate the Games; it is not public money which is used for infrastructure or venues.
The deficit, challenging organizers 25 days before the games begin, represents about 6 percent of the local committee's budget and just over 1 percent of the total projected cost of 40 billion reais to host the Olympics.
- READ MORE
- Twitter reacts with hilarious memes after McGregor’s defeat at UFC 257
- Klopp says Burnley shock can spark Liverpool turnaround
- UFC 257: Dustin Poirier defeats Conor McGregor by knockout
- How FKF put players at Covid risk
- Elly Kalekwa: The Congolese who has revolutionised Kenyan football
- Athletics: Impressive Ferguson and Otieno dominate AK relays meeting