The Premier League match between Jose Mourinho’s Tottenham Hotspur and Fulham that was scheduled to kick off at 9pm EAT today has been called off due to a COVID-19 outbreak at the West London club.
Fulham lodged a request with the Premier League to reschedule the match after a number of players showed symptoms on Wednesday.
“The match between Tottenham Hotspur and Fulham, due to be played at 18:00 GMT this evening, has been postponed following a Premier League Board meeting this afternoon.
The Premier League Board has consulted its medical advisors and the decision to postpone the game has been taken as a precaution and with the health of players and staff as the priority. The group will now be retested immediately,” the Premier League said in a statement seen by The Standard Sport.
“With low numbers of positive tests across the overwhelming majority of clubs, the Premier League continues to have full confidence in its COVID-19 protocols and being able to continue to play our fixtures as scheduled.
- READ MORE
- Tusker bounce back to winning ways after beating Ulinzi Stars
- Football's rulemaker makes further changes to handball rules
- Top-four a possibility for West Ham, says Moyes
- Chelsea defeat a massive blow, says Klopp
- Mount goal earns Chelsea victory at toothless Liverpool
- Tottenham edge past Fulham thanks to Adarabioyo own goal
“The League wishes those with COVID-19 a safe and speedy recovery and will rearrange the postponed fixture between Tottenham Hotspur and Fulham in due course,” the League added.
The match is the third in the English top-flight to be postponed due to coronavirus cases.
Newcastle United's trip to Aston Villa was called off earlier in December, as was Monday's match between Everton and Manchester City.