× Sports Football Rugby Olympics Volleyball and Handball Cricket Boxing Golf Hockey Tennis Gossip & Rumours World Cup 2018 Basketball Athletics Sports Premier League Eliud Kipchoge Women in Sports Unique Sports Opinion Motorsport Videos Podcasts E-Paper Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman Travelog TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified Jobs Games Crosswords Sudoku The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS

Tusker complete double over Gor Mahia to move four points clear

FOOTBALL By Washington Onyango | July 9th 2021
Tusker FC celebrate a goal against Gor Mahia during an FKF Premier League match on July 8, 2021. [Jonah Onyango, The Standard]

Tusker on Thursday came from a goal down to complete a second half 2-1 comeback win over defending champions Gor Mahia in an entertaining Football Kenya Federation Premier League match played at Ruaraka Grounds.

Eugene Asike struck at the death to seal the three points after Boniface Muchiri had restored parity for Tusker who went four points clear off second placed KCB atop the standings with 50 points.

South Sudanese import Tito Okello had given Gor Mahia the lead in the 14th minute that saw them lead 1-0 at the break.

The win saw Tusker complete a first Premier League double over K’Ogalo after previously defeating them with a similar score line in the first leg played last year in December.

Fresh from claiming the sole Caf Champions League ticket, the league leaders are now unbeaten in their last four matches and have now stretched their lead between them and Gor to 11 points.

Tusker kicked off the match on the offensive with Sammy Miseh’s second minute free-kick troubling Gad Mathews in goal for Gor Mahia who was forced to make a tripple save after keeping out Boniface Muchiri and Henry Meja rebounds.

The first star was followed by a silent 10 minutes of both sides playing safe and careful not to concede an early goal.

Gor Mahia's Kenneth Muguna (left) and Kevin Okoth of Tusker during an FKF Premier League match on July 8, 2021. [Jonah Onyango, The Standard]

However, it was Gor who struck first through Okello. Muguna great free kick delivery from the right side found the former Vipers striker unmarked in the box before taping it home.

Five minutes later, Kevin Okoth sent Muchiri through with a great through pass but he placed his resultant effort just wide from Mathews goal.

Okello was provided with a chance to double the scores again from the free kick but this time he sent his attempt wide in the 22nd minute.

Muchiri again found himself clear before sending a great shot on goal from the edge of the box but was silenced by Mathews.

Odenyi Faraj hit the post for Tusker moments later after connecting to a cross from Brian Marita before Okoth narrowly missed an equalizer from a 20-yard volley that beat Mathews but missed the target as the brewers went at the break trailing 1-0.

In the second half, Muchiri restored parity with an audacious free-kick as Asike would leave it late to seal the win for Tusker after heading home Sammy Meja's corner to secure all three points.

Gor winless run stretched to four matches after the loss.

Share this story
Nzoia Sugar sink Bidco to boost survival hopes
Nzoia Sugar narrowly edged out Bidco United on Thursday to end their eight-match winless run in a...
Olympics: President Uhuru presents Team Kenya with official travel kit
The kit Inspired by Kenya’s national colours and symbols, will be...