× Sports Volleyball and Handball Cricket Hockey Gossip & Rumours Premier League Videos Podcasts E-Paper Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman Travelog TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified Jobs Games Crosswords Sudoku The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS

Gor Mahia 0-2 KCB: Simiyu torments Gor Mahia once again as KCB beat the champions

FOOTBALL By Rodgers Eshitemi | March 7th 2021
David Simiyu of KCB celebrate a goal during FKF Premier League match against Gor Mahia FC at Kasarani stadium on Sunday, March 7, 2021. [Jonah Onyango, Standard]

KCB new signing David Simiyu once again tormented Gor Mahia as he came off the bench to score the opener in their 2-0 victory over the record Kenyan champions at Kasarani Stadium on Sunday.

This was Simiyu's second goal against K'Ogalo in less than two months in the FKF Premier League after he netted the winner when his former club Vihiga United silenced Carlos Manuel Vaz Pinto’s men 1-0 at the same venue on January 23.

Simiyu broke the deadlock in the 75th minute with a powerful drive before his fellow substitute Victor Omondi doubled the lead from the spot after he was fouled by goalkeeper Boniface Oluoch in the box.

While it was a great bounce back for the second-placed bankers, who had gone for three matches without winning, the defeat left the champions 19 points behind league leaders Tusker (35).

A visibly disappointed Gor Mahia coach Manuel Vaz Pinto simply said: "We were better than KCB more so in the second half, but some individual mistakes gifted them the two goals. I can't blame our defenders for the goals.

"We paid the price of not taking our chances. We didn't deserve to lose this game because we had better chances than them."

But for his KCB counterpart Zedekiah 'Zico' Otieno, that's a brilliant team-work performance after the return of midfielder Michael Mutinda and defender Dennis Odhiambo from suspension and injury respectively.

"For the first time in many matches, today we had a complete team that has won seven matches on the trot. Beating Gor Mahia 2-0 is not easy, but I'm proud of my team's performance," said Otieno.

At the opposite Kasarani Annex, Kakamega Homeboyz piled more misery on the struggling Mathare United after beating them 2-1.

Back to the Main Stadium, Kenneth Muguna nearly gave Gor Mahia the lead in the 14th minute but the captain's cheeky header from Geoffrey Ochieng's delivery on the left flank went over the bar.

Gor Mahia Goalkeeper Boniface Oluoch and Victor Omondi of KCB during FKF Premier League at Kasarani stadium on Sunday, March 7, 2021. [Jonah Onyango, Standard]

David Owino then earned a free kick for KCB in a promising position but the opposition's defence did well to avert the danger from the resulting set piece before Alpha Onyango's interception denied the bankers the opener on the half hour mark.

Gor responded immediately, but KCB goalkeeper Gabriel Andika reacted fast to pick the ball following a miscommunication between Samuel Onyango and Brazilian striker Silva Wilson.

Moments later, the bankers captain Simon Abuko failed to make contact on Dennis Odhiambo's pinpointed cross from the left flank before Wilson also failed to control Muguna's pass in the box on the opposite end.

Derrick Otanga had a clear cut chance to break the dead lock on the stroke of halftime after receiving a nice pass from Abuko, but Oluoch pulled off a fine save to stop his effort in the area.

Samuel Onyango then saw his long range shot go straight into Andika's hands as both teams went to the lockers with the match tied at goalless.

Pinto made a double substitution on restart with John Macharia and Alpha Onyango paving way for Kenyan international Clifton Miheso and Burkina Faso midfielder Karim Abdoul respectively.

The bankers came close in the 52nd minute, but Charles Momanyi outmuscled Otanga before Miheso forced a perfect save from Andika after a brilliant team play.

Zico responded by bringing on the trio of David Simiyu, Vincent Wasambu and Michael Oduor for Brian Ngenga,  Otanga and Abuko.

Ugandan striker Tito Okello almost made an instant impact after replacing Silva Wilson, only for him to squander a free header from Kelvin Wesonga's cross before indecision cost Abdoul a scoring chance in the box in the 74th minute.

Gor were punished immediately with David Simiyu capitalising on the champions' defensive lapse to shoot the ball past the goalkeeper.

Miheso nearly drew level in the 85th minute when his left-foot strike destined for the top corner only for an outstretched Andika to party it out for a fruitfuless corner.

A minute later, Omondi put the game beyond Gor's reach from the spot after he was hacked in the box by Oluoch.

Sunday's FKF PL Results

Gor Mahia 0-2 KCB

Mathare United 1-2 Kakamega Homeboyz

Share this story
Struggling West Brom held by Newcastle in dour goalless draw
West Bromwich Albion's hopes of avoiding relegation were dented as they missed several chances in a 0-0 draw at home to fellow strugglers Newcastle Un
Rangers crowned Scottish champions as Celtic held by Dundee United
Rangers celebrated their first league triumph since 2011 after Celtic were frustrated by Dundee United in a 0-0 Premiership draw on Sunday to hand the