Real Madrid took another step towards their first La Liga title in three years by beating free-falling Alaves 2-0 at home on Friday, overcoming a number of high-profile absences to secure their eighth consecutive victory.
Real Madrid were missing three of their first-choice defenders as captain Sergio Ramos and Dani Carvajal were suspended and Marcelo was injured but they got off to a comfortable start as Karim Benzema converted from the spot in the 11th minute.
It was the third game in a row in which Real had broken the deadlock thanks to a penalty and they sealed the win when Benzema turned provider and allowed Marco Asensio to tap into an empty net early in the second half.
Real moved on to 80 points, restoring their four-point lead over second-placed Barcelona with three games remaining.
- READ MORE
- Madrid snatch draw at Moenchengladbach with late Casemiro goal
- Real Madrid sink Barcelona in heated 'El Clasico'
- Possible contenders for Real Madrid job if Zinedine Zidane is fired
- Champions League round-up: Bayern break Atletico Madrid, Lukaku makes history
- Mourinho, Bale shocked as Lanzini scores thunderbolt at the death!
- Real Madrid slump to defeat by minnows Cadiz