‘Whatever happens I will understand’ – Sadio Mane speaks on Liverpool’s title question
Sadio Mane says he would understand if Liverpool were denied the Premier League title even though they were on the brink of glory when coronavirus forced a shutdown.
Jurgen Klopp's men were 25 points clear of Manchester City when football came to a halt last month, agonisingly close to their first top-flight triumph in 30 years.
But it is unclear when, or even if, the season will be completed.
Asked if he feels like a champion, the 27-year-old Senegal forward told Talksport that he wanted to win the Premier League on the pitch.
"I want to win the games and I want to get the trophy, it's what I would love," he said. "But with this situation, whatever happens I will understand.
"It has been difficult for Liverpool, but it has been more difficult for many millions of people around the world.
"Some people have lost family members and that is the more complicated situation. But for myself, it's my dream and I want to win it this year.
"If that's not the case, I will accept, it's part of life. Hopefully we will win it next year."
UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin said this week there was "no way" Liverpool should finish the season without the title, even if the campaign is cancelled.
- Bournemouth player tests positive for COVID-19Premier League 1 day ago
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic suffers potential career-ending injury – reportsGossip & Rumours 12 hours ago
- MLS 'exploring scenarios' for possible return to actionFootball 2 days ago
- Bundesliga stat suggests home advantage has disappeared behind closed doors Football 8 hours ago
- Gym closures force Kenyan sports champions to train by roadsideAthletics 13 hours ago
- Van Persie recalls being slapped by ex-Man United boss Van GaalFootball 1 day ago
- Eid al-Fitr! Sports stars across the world celebrate end of RamadanFootball 1 day ago