USIU, Northern Suburbs win to keep playoff hopes alive
United States International University-Africa RFC (USIU Martials) and Northern Suburbs kept their hopes of sealing a quarterfinal playoff spot alive after winning their respective matches in the KRU Championship over the weekend.
USIU Martials thrashed University of Eldoret Trojans 40-22 to cement their fourth place position with 37 points and captain Eliud Mulakoli believes a win in their last match next weekend will seal the deal for them in the quarterfinal playoffs.
“We started the season slow but am glad the team did not give up. We picked up and we are now in a good position to qualify for the quarters.”
“This will be an achievement for us considering how our season has been. Our goal now remains to win our last fixture to seal the deal and wait for the quarterfinals,” he said.
Northern Suburbs Cubs, on their maiden season in the championship also kept their quarter hopes alive after thrashing South Coast Pirates 41-12 in Karen.
The win saw suburbs leapfrog Pirates to fifth in the standings with 34 points with a win in their last match needed to confirm their playoff spot.
Egerton Wasps dropped to sixth after their 21-10 loss to Eldoret RFC but remain on course for sealing a quarterfinal playoff spot.
In Kakamega, it was a routine win for second placed Masinde Muliro University of Science and Technology (MMUST RFC) who thrashed already relegated Kisii RFC 38-5 as leaders Strathmore Leos registered a massive 79-12 win over Mombasa RFC.
Mean Machine edged out Catholic Monks 28-3 to remain third with 49 points, 14 points behind second placed MMUST.
Strathmore Leos and MMUST have already confirmed their direct home semifinal qualification with one game of the regular season left with Machine already assured of a quarterfinal spot.
Kisii has been relegated and will be joined with either Mombasa RFC, Catholic Monks and University of Eldoret who are fighting for survival. [Washington Onyango]
Championship weekend results
Strathmore 79-12 Mombasa
Mean Machine 29-3 CUEA Monks
Suburbs 41-12 SC Pirates
USIU 40-22 UOE
MMUST 38-5 Kisii
Eldoret 21-10 Egerton
- Kenyan athletes react after cancellation of Tokyo OlympicsAthletics 2 days ago
- Du Plessis yearns for Kenya Cup sweetness with Kabras SugarRugby 2 days ago
- Economic crisis from coronavirus begins to bite in European footballFootball 2 days ago
- Football federation offers clubs loans to pay billsFootball 2 days ago
- Federer donates Sh100 million to vulnerable Swiss in coronavirus crisisTennis 2 days ago
- Everton's Keane says players can be ready in a fortnightPremier League 2 days ago
- Anthony Joshua responds to coronavirus fears after Prince Charles diagnosisBoxing 2 days ago