Fans react to Man United’s win over Chelsea amid VAR controversy
Manchester United gave themselves hope of playing in the Champions League next season after a 2-0 defeat against Chelsea.
Headers from Anthony Martial and captain Harry Maguire ensured Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s earned three crucial points in race for the EPL top four position.
Chelsea on the other side were left furious after having two goals ruled out by VAR, first a Kurt Zouma header after a suspected push on Brandon Williams and then an Olivier Giroud strike for offside.
VAR system, made more headlines once again after two England international Maguire escaped sanction for a kick on Chelsea striker Michy Batshuayi.
Chelsea Manager Frank Lampard was left fuming after the two controversial VAR decisions consigned the Blues to defeat against Manchester United.
‘Harry Maguire should have been sent off, that's clear, and that obviously changes the game,’ said Lampard, who's side also had an Olivier Giroud goal chalked off by VAR for a marginal offside.
Maguire however, insisted he did not deliberately kick Batshuayi, ‘I knew I caught him, I thought he was gonna fall on me,” said Maguire
‘The natural reaction was to try and hold him up, it wasn’t a kick out, no intent.
‘I did catch him, but it’s the right decision in the end. I didn’t have any intent to hurt him or kick him. I’ve got studs on the end of my boots so it makes it worse but I apologised to him.’ He added
Following the VAR controversy, football fanatics and a section of the fan base took to social media to criticise the decisions.
Here sre some reactions captured by GameYetu:
- Three scenarios for a potential return of the Premier LeaguePremier League 2 days ago
- UEFA to meet to debate options for ravaged football fixture calendarFootball 2 days ago
- Ajax cancel contract of player stricken after heart attackFootball 2 days ago
- Fiorentina, Torino presidents believe Serie A season unlikely to finishFootball 2 days ago
- Review of the new betting website in Kenya - BetwinnerSports 2 days ago
- President of Belarus rejects coronavirus risks, suggests vodkaFootball 2 days ago
- Athletics: Adak boss asks runners to adhere to anti-doping regulationsAthletics 2 days ago