Barcelona given permission to sign forward this month by La Liga
Barcelona have been permitted to sign a forward on an emergency basis in the next 15 days after the severity of Ousmane Dembele's injury was confirmed.
France international Dembele faces six months out after tearing his hamstring, with the World Cup winner joining Luis Suarez on the sidelines as the Uruguayan recovers from knee surgery.
Suarez has been ruled out until May by the club, while the Catalans allowed two of their young forwards - Abel Ruiz and Carles Perez - to depart last month in a bid to raise some capital.
La Liga rules state that clubs may be permitted to sign and register a player outside of the transfer window if exceptional circumstances can be proved.
The newly-registered player must already be playing in one of the top two tiers in the Spanish game, or be a free agent.
Recently appointed Barca boss Quique Setien has Lionel Messi, Antoine Griezmann and Ansu Fati to choose from in attack, but the club will now add a new name to their squad within the next 15 days although they have missed the deadline to register the new forward for the Champions League.
A whole host of Spanish-based players have been linked with a switch to the Nou Camp, with the former Middlesbrough forward Martin Braithwaite the latest name to emerge in the Spanish press.
Mundo Deportivo claim that the 28-year-old Danish international is being lined up for a switch from Leganes, who he only joined on a permanent deal in the summer having spent the second half of last season on loan there.
The former Arsenal and West Ham forward Lucas Perez and Real Sociedad's Willian Jose, a previous target of Tottenham, have also been linked with a move.
- Du Plessis yearns for Kenya Cup sweetness with Kabras SugarRugby 2 days ago
- Economic crisis from coronavirus begins to bite in European footballFootball 2 days ago
- Football federation offers clubs loans to pay billsFootball 2 days ago
- Federer donates Sh100 million to vulnerable Swiss in coronavirus crisisTennis 2 days ago
- Everton's Keane says players can be ready in a fortnightPremier League 2 days ago
- Anthony Joshua responds to coronavirus fears after Prince Charles diagnosisBoxing 2 days ago
- World champion Joshua in self-isolation after meeting Prince CharlesBoxing 2 days ago