Kenya Cup: Homeboyz extend fine run in league
Homeboyz stretched their good run in the Kenya Cup with a 47-5 win over Nakuru RFC in a round 13 match at the Jamhuri Showground in Nairobi on Saturday.
The bonus-point victory took the Deejays’ season tally to 54 points although they remained in third position on the 12-team standings.
In other matches, league leaders Kabras Sugar dented Mwamba’s playoffs ambitions as they handed the Nairobi outfit a 56-13 hiding at the Bull Ring in Kakamega while defending champions KCB saw off Kenya Harlequin 29-3 at the KCB Sports Club.
Kenyatta University’s Blak Blad boosted their survival chances by stunning Mitch Ocholla’s Impala Saracens 20-17 at their backyard as Menengai Oilers overcame relegation-threatened Western Bulls 43-17 in Nakuru.
At the Jamhuri Showground, Homeboyz took a 7-0 lead early in the first half after Ervin Asena converted Leonard Mugaisi’s try to put the hosts in control.
The speedy Mugaisi turned from scorer to provider as he drifted away from his markers and then set up Michael Wanjala who crossed the whitewash for a try which Asena converted.
Nakuru struggled to find a response and they were punished by the Deejays who extended their advantage with two converted tries to take an unassailable 28-0 lead at half-time.
There was no reprieve for the visitors after resumption as Homeboyz found their fifth try before Philip Kwame put some respectability on the score line by going over for Nakuru’s first try of the match.
In Kakamega, outside center Timoci Senaite got the millers rolling with an early try converted by Ntabeni Dukisa before Fijian halfback Jona Kubu made it 14-0 by completing a move from the midfield.
Dukisa and Kubu combined for Kabras’ third before George Nyambua got the hosts' bonus point try. Dukisa would then get his second of the day for the millers to lead 33-3.
Meanwhile, the match pitting Nondescripts against Kisumu RFC was called off after the latter were involved in a road accident on Friday as they were travelling to Nairobi to honour the fixture.
- The framework that keeps Menengai Oilers punching above their weight Rugby 2 days ago
- Table-Tennis Activities postponed in KenyaTennis 2 days ago
- Martin Owila: My love for rugby, the gospel and youth mentorshipRugby 18 hours ago
- The fight against coronavirus: Kenyan football talent plays its partFootball 2 days ago
- Thomas Mueller extends Bayern stay until 2023Football 2 days ago
- All golf clubs must be closed with immediate effect – Mutahi KagweGolf 2 days ago
- Tottenham's Son set for chemical warfare training in South KoreaFootball 2 days ago