Rugby: Mean Machine and USIU Martials stamp playoff spots
United States International University-Africa (USIU Martials) and former Kenya Cup side Mean Machine stamped their bid to finish in the KRU Championship quarter-final playoffs after registering wins against Eldoret RFC and South Coast Pirates respectively.
USIU Martials bounced back to winning ways by narrowly edging out Eldoret 15-14. The students’ captain Eliud Mulakoli remained optimistic they can finish among the top six teams, who will qualify for playoffs.
Speaking to Standard Sports, Mulakoli said they have been working hard for positive results after a slow start to the season.
“We are happy we are back among the top four teams. With four matches remaining, we are confident of making the play-offs,” he said.
Mean Machine on the other hand thrashed Pirates 43-18 to cement their third place position with a game in hand.
In Kakamega, Masinde Muliro University of Science and Technology (MMUST RFC) moved a step closer to achieving their dream of booking a home semifinal playoff after whipping visiting Egerton Wasps 41-0.
“We are enjoying ourselves now and I’m happy everything is going according to plan. Our objective remains the same — to finish in the top two and avoid the quarterfinals,” MMUST coach Ochieng Ahaya said. [Washington Onyango]
Leaders Strathmore Leos maintained a hundred per cent start to the season winning their 12th consecutive game by beating Northern Suburbs 22-0.
Though missing out on a bonus point win, Leos now have 57 points, seven ahead of second placed MMUST.
Mombasa RFC lost 29-15 to Catholic Monks at Catholic University as Kisii won just their fourth match of the season as they saw off UOE 11-3.
- Ronaldo names Messi as favourite player to watchFootball 1 day ago
- FKF polls: Football players want a quick resolution to poll crisis and credible exerciseFootball 1 hour ago
- Liverpool’s training return a massive lift for KloppFootball 1 day ago
- Leicester to prepare for restart with practice games at empty stadiumPremier League 1 day ago
- MLS players send new restart proposal to leagueFootball 2 days ago
- Chelsea stars take the knee as Premier League stars lead way on Blackout TuesdayFootball 7 hours ago
- Fans could return for 20-21 season, says Premier League chiefFootball 2 days ago