Eric Kiptanui finishes second in Dubai Marathon, misses out on Sh10 million prize
Kenya’s Eric Kiprono Kiptanui finished second in the Dubai Marathon on Friday.
Kiptanui, who made his 42km debut at the Standard Chartered Dubai Marathon, finished behind Ethiopia’s Olika Adugna Bikila in a time of 2:06:17. Bikila took home Sh10 million.
Ethiopians dominated the race, with 10 of the top 11 finishers, and it was the ninth straight victory for the Horn of Africa country in Dubai.
A disappointed Kiptanui said that a stomach discomfort slowed him down when it mattered most. The Iten-based runner, however, vowed to try his luck next year.
“The race was good but at 35kms I started feeling a stitch and couldn’t push more. I tried to maintain my pace and at 41kms I pushed a little bit more and managed to finish second.
“The conditions were perfect and I am sure when I come back next year I will win. I am sure I will run a marathon in 2:02 or below in future,” said Kiptanui.
Kiptanui, who holds a half marathon personal best time of 58:42, was among Eliud Kipchoge’s 42 pacesetters at the historic INEOS 1:59 Challenge in Vienna, Austria, last October.
He is ranked sixth in the world in half marathon all-time records.
The 29-year-old Kiptanui won Lisbon Half Marathon in a personal best time of 60:05.
In the women’s race, Boston Marathon winner Worknesh Degefa Debele of Ethiopia won with a time of 2:19.38.
The women's winner also took home $100,000 (Sh10,000,000).
- Champions League ban: Shock as three top players linked with Man City exitFootball 2 days ago
- UEFA Champions Leagues round of 16 preview by ChezaCashFootball 1 day ago
- Universities: Champions Zetech maintain good runFootball 2 days ago
- He belongs to Man United – Solskjaer’s stern warning to Pogba’s agent RaiolaGossip & Rumours 2 days ago
- First openly gay British football player Fashanu makes Hall of FameFootball 13 hours ago
- Lionel Messi breaks another record - first footballer to win Laureus award [PHOTOS]Football 1 day ago
- Karateka, 72, proves age is just but a number Sports 2 days ago