Dortmund's Witsel out until New Year with facial injury
Borussia Dortmund midfielder Axel Witsel has undergone an operation after suffering a facial injury at home and has been ruled out of action until next year, manager Lucien Favre has said.
The 30-year-old Belgium international was hospitalised after falling at home, Favre told reporters ahead of Dortmund’s Champions League clash against Slavia Prague later on Tuesday.
“He won’t be able to play for the rest of the year ... It’s a shame for him and us, he’s an important player. Hopefully, he is back as soon as possible,” he said.
Dortmund said in a statement on their website that the operation was a success and Witsel had returned home to recover.
Witsel has made 18 appearances in the Champions League and Bundesliga this season, scoring three goals.
Dortmund are third in Champions League Group F, level on seven points with second-placed Inter Milan and four behind group leaders Barcelona.
- FIBA AfroBasket qualifiers: Brave Somalia gives Kenyans real scareBasketball 2 days ago
- It is our duty to report the sighting of cheats in golf coursesGolf 2 days ago
- Harry Maguire to take charge right away after Young's departure Football 1 day ago
- Solskjaer -Rashford set to miss Liverpool clashPremier League 2 days ago
- Premier League refs told to use monitors for red cardsPremier League 2 days ago
- Impala seeking redemption against Oilers in crucial tieRugby 2 days ago
- Fireworks as regional teams fight for places in qualifiersBasketball 1 day ago