Cecafa Senior Challenge: Harambee Stars beat Tanzania
National football team, Harambee Stars got their Cecafa Senior Challenge title defence off to a perfect start on Sunday with a 1-0 win over rivals Tanzania’s Taifa Stars, in Kampala, Uganda.
It took only four minutes for Bandari winger Abdalla Hassan to open his Stars’ goal account on his full national team debut. The priceless goal turned out to be the match winner in a closely contested encounter at Lugogo Stadium.
This was a sweet revenge for Kenya after being recently eliminated by the Tanzanians from the 2020 African Nations Championship (Chan) qualifiers.
The victory saw Kenya go top of Group B with three points after Sudan and Zanzibar played out to a 1-1 draw in an earlier fixture at the same venue.
Kenya face off with Sudan in their second Group match tomorrow at 1:30pm before Zanzibar tackles Tanzania at 4pm.
In an earlier match at Lugogo Stadium, 10-man Zanzibar forced Sudan to a 1-1 draw.
Khamis Makame had given Zanzibar the lead in the 56th minute only for substitute Osman Montasir to deny the 2017 losing finalists victory with a last gasp strike.
The equaliser came barely five minutes after Zanzibar had been reduced to 10 men following a straight red card on Ahmada Ibrahim for a dangerous tackle.
Emaldeldeen Salah had earlier in the first half missed a penalty for Sudan after one of the Zanzibar’s defender handled the ball in the box.
- Prince Harry reemerges for Rugby League World Cup drawRugby 2 days ago
- Why children could be banned from heading the ball in ScotlandFootball 2 days ago
- Bruno Fernandes plans confirmed by Sporting Lisbon coach Premier League 2 days ago
- Tanzanian striker set to light up the Premier LeagueFootball 2 days ago
- UEFA change Team of the Year formation to fit in Cristiano RonaldoFootball 2 days ago
- Firmino in tears as Liverpool teammate Alisson assists emotional baptism [PHOTOS]Football 2 days ago
- FIBA AfroBasket qualifiers: Brave Somalia gives Kenyans real scareBasketball 2 days ago