Man City issue statement on alleged racial abuse during Manchester derby
Manchester City have confirmed they are working with police after alleged racial abuse during the Manchester derby.
Footage emerged on social media, appearing to show a City supporter making an offensive gesture to Jesse Lingard in the second half at the Etihad.
The incident occurred after United midfielder Fred was struck by objects thrown from the crows as he prepared to take a corner.
United dealt City's title chances a hammer blow at the Etihad with a 2-1 victory.
A City statement read: "Manchester City FC are aware of a video circulating on social media which appears to show a supporter making racial gestures during the second half of the match against Manchester United this evening.
"Officials from the Club are working with Greater Manchester Police in order to help them identify any individuals concerned and assist with their enquiries.
The Club are also working with GMP regarding an instance of objects being thrown onto the field of play.
"The Club operates a zero tolerance policy regarding discrimination of any kind, and anyone found guilty of racial abuse will be banned from the club for life."
Marcus Rashford scored the opening goal of the match and was asked if he heard the alleged abuse by Sky Sports.
"No, not during the game but it can happen," he said.
"In recent times, we have been dealing with it a bit better but the fact it is still happening isn't good enough.
"There is obviously still some work to do in that area.
"But for us, it is about the football and what we do on the pitch."
- For three good years: K’Ogalo get new kit samples from UmbroFootball 2 hours ago
- Karate: Kenya Police make arrests at Taifa Open Sports 1 day ago
- Report: Man City winger Leroy Sane sacks his agentFootball 1 day ago
- Aston Villa complete signing of Tanzanian striker Samatta Premier League 23 hours ago
- Man City facing fresh calls for Champions League ban Football 1 day ago
- Manchester United make Bruno Fernandes breakthroughGossip & Rumours 1 hour ago
- Man United's Rashford facing lengthy lay off with back injuryFootball 2 days ago