FKF Elections: Mwendwa says he will abide by SDT ruling on polls
Football Kenya Federation (FKF) will abide by the Sports Disputes Tribunal (SDT) ruling to nullify the results of the branch elections as well as cancel the planned presidential polls, the federation boss Nick Mwendwa has said.
This comes four days after the John Ohaga-led tribunal declared the entire election exercise null and void following a petition filed by Nyamira FKF sub-branch chairman Jared Nyauma and a further application done jointly by Sam Nyamweya, Lordvick Aduda, Steve Mburu, Alex Ole Magelo, Angeline Elijah and Moses Akaranga - all aspirants for national office in the elections-challenging the composition of the FKF Election Board and the Electoral Code.
In its ruling, the tribunal had cited improper composition of the board and lack of public participation in the formulation of the Code.
The presidential elections were supposed to be held yesterday, while the branch polls were conducted on November 23.
Addressing the press in Nairobi yesterday, Mwendwa said that though he does not agree with the SDT ruling, he respects the decision made.
“We as the National Executive Committee and football stakeholders at large met and though we respect the SDT and its decisions, we do not agree with the ruling,” Mwendwa said.
The incumbent further said they have sent the amended code to all the 20 branches as directed by the SDT ahead of next year’s Special General Meeting.
“We have made amendments to the code, and shall release it today to all our 20 branches for Member participation," Mwendwa said.
“The code will come back to us on January 8, 2010. We shall then hold a Special General Meeting to pass the code and board which will henceforth be mandated with calling for fresh elections.”
- Motorsport: Kenyan riders off to international contestSports 2 days ago
- FA Cup: Manchester United beat Tranmere 6-0Football 1 day ago
- PHOTOS: KDF Cross Country meet in ThikaAthletics 2 days ago
- Nakuru RFC seek revenge against Oilers in league tieRugby 2 days ago
- Boston marathon: Cherono gears up for title defenceAthletics 3 hours ago
- Coach of the Year winner Bitok trains eye on 2020 Olympics after awardVolleyball and Handball 3 hours ago
- Reports: Spanish defender in London for Arsenal medicalFootball 1 day ago