Martial arts: Kenya bags 20 medals as Mombasa Open event kicks off
Kenya’s team started its title defence on a sound note after bagging 20 medals as the Mombasa Open Tong Il Moo Do international championships started at Aga Khan Academy, Mombasa yesterday.
The team, better known as Jasiri, bagged five gold, eight silver and seven bronze on the first day of the event that has attracted 14 countries.
Thailand have two gold, one silver and bronze medals while South Korea and Democratic Republic of Congo have a gold each. Ruth Rono gave Kenya two gold medals after she won in women individual colour belt with 7.5 points with Suji Rangala of Kenya and Thailand’s Phinonwan Thongsakulsiri hitting 6.7 and 6.6 points for silver and bronze.
Ruth teamed up with other Kenyan women to win gold in team forms with Thailand settling for the second position.
Anthony Napatu gave Kenya another gold in men blue stripe category with Sambay Roger of Congo Brazaville and Nepal’s Jay Tamang clinching silver and bronze.
Kenya’s fourth gold came through Twalib Rashid’s led men beginners’ team category that saw the hosts grab silver and bronze through Alvi’s and Hakwan teams.
The fifth gold for Kenya was won by Wycliffe Wabukala in men’s form with 5.9 points. Kenya went ahead to win silver and bronze through Fredrick Omollo and Young Ominde with 5.4 and 5.3 points.
Thailand won gold in white belt men category through Nakul Chaloemphon with 7.8 points while Kenya's Wanga Hassan and Twalib Rashid won silver and bronze respectively. Thailand got the second second gold in women colour belt category.
- Athletes qualified for Tokyo 2020 to keep spots in 2021Football 2 days ago
- Doping: Coronavirus will not be opportunity for drug cheats says WADA chiefAthletics 2 days ago
- Return of Premier League football: English leagues say facing difficult decisions over virus impactFootball 2 days ago
- Listen to former FKF boss Hatimy, Twaha tells MwendwaFootball 2 days ago
- Former international players urge for respect on FIFA's stand on FKF ElectionsFootball 1 day ago
- Juventus players agree to take pay reduction in Sh10 billion cost-cutFootball 1 day ago
- Chelsea player reveals difficulty of separation from children due to coronavirusFootball 1 day ago