Diego Simeone heading for Atletico Madrid 'divorce'
Diego Simeone's tenure at Atletico Madrid could be coming to an end - fuelling talk over a move to the Premier League.
Simeone, 49, has been in charge of the La Liga giants since 2011, winning the La Liga title and Europa League twice.
Atletico have reached the final of the Champions League twice in the last six years but it appears Simeone's cycle is coming to an end.
The club sold Antoine Griezmann and Rodri in the summer while stalwart Diego Godin also moved on, with Atletico in sixth in the La Liga table.
MARCA reports some members of the board are disappointed with Simeone and the current state of affairs, claiming a 'divorce is on the horizon'.
That could put Premier League clubs on red alert with Arsenal on the lookout for a new manager.
Everton boss Marco Silva is also on the verge of the sack while Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is also under pressure at Manchester United.
While Everton may appear an unlikely destination, the Premier League club did sound out the Argentine in 2017.
Simeone was said to be curious about the project at Goodison Park back then, although the Toffees are now hovering perilously above the drop zone.
Meanwhile, Mirror Sport columnist Stan Collymore believes Simeone would be the perfect fit for Arsenal after Unai Emery's sacking.
He wrote before Emery's departure: "He has a history of getting Atletico Madrid into finals, and if they get him now, at slightly less than his peak, he won’t cost a Jose Mourinho-style salary.
"They should - with permission - send the owners over to meet him and say: We know you don’t really fancy leaving Madrid, but here is a vision for you of the potential of Arsenal Football Club.
- Shujaa finish eighth in Hamilton SevensRugby 2 days ago
- Ronaldo and Luis Figo bashed after they posted identical messages to mourn Kobe Bryant’s deathFootball 1 day ago
- Tusker Safari Tour golf: Greg Snow digs in for a fight heading into third round at Sigona todayGolf 1 day ago
- AC Milan players to wear special armbands against Torino in memory of Kobe BryantFootball 15 hours ago
- AS Roma stunned by success of missing children's campaignFootball 2 days ago
- Kobe Bryant: Private helicopters ferry LA elite above trafficBasketball 20 hours ago
- Rugby: Mean Machine and USIU Martials stamp playoff spotsRugby 2 days ago