Boxing: Zarika to face Bulgarian Ivanova in Nairobi
Former World Boxing Council super-bantamweight champion Fatuma Zarika will fight Bulgarian Ilvanka Ivanova in a-non-title-fight on December 13 at Charter Hall, Nairobi.
This will be a great moment for Zarika as she seeks to stay in shape ahead of the rematch against WBC super-bantamweight champion Mexican Yamileth Mercado in March next year.
In their bout last month in Chihuahua, Mercado beat Zarika on unanimous points decision in all the three rounds.
Initially, Kenya Professional Boxing Commission (KPBC) secretary general Franklin Imbenzi had said Zarika would fight either Ivanova or Serbian Sarah Murianovic in an eight-round match.
“The match will assist the Zarika gauge her skills before the rematch as we are preparing her to win back the belt from Mercado,” Imbenzi said.
The non-title fight is being organized by Zaks and Solid Rocks Promotions.
Yesterday, Zarika exuded confidence saying she’s preparing to face Mercado in their rematch.
“Nitampiga sawasawa tikikutana msimu ujao. Atashangaa wakati huu (I will defeat her (Mercado) once we meet in our next match next season. It will be tough for her),” she told Standard Sports.
Meanwhile, Africa Boxing Union middleweight champion Rayton Okwiri will defend his title against Enock Musambuzi of Zimbabwe as a curtain raiser to the non-title fight on December 13.
Okwiri boasts a record of five wins and one draw.
- Shujaa tackle England, Spain in Dubai Sevens Rugby 2 days ago
- KPL postpones matches involving Gor, Mathare and UlinziSports 2 days ago
- FKF clinches Sh127 million Odibets dealSports 2 days ago
- Blomqvist maintains top spotSports 2 days ago
- Engstrom takes early lead at VipingoGolf 2 days ago
- Fiji start World Sevens series defence with victory over JapanRugby 2 days ago
- BREAKING: Marco Silva sacked as Everton managerPremier League 2 days ago