Britain’s ‘Strongman’ dies aged 47 while training for intense challenge
British strongman Simon 'Power' Plant, who held 14 world records, has died aged 47.
Plant had been training for his latest feat - pulling a 19-ton fire engine hitched to an ambulance.
He was renowned for eating 28 raw eggs and six jacket potatoes a day.
The plasterer had been battling health problems after his weight rose to 26 stone, according to the Sun.
But he had recently lost six stone as he trained for his next challenge to raise cash for a children's charity.
Plant died of natural causes.
His wife Danielle said: “We all thought he was invincible. When he went out for these efforts, I always knew he would do them.”
Plant claimed a world record in the summer by using only one arm to pull a double-decker bus loaded with 76 passengers and a dog.
He dragged the 17-ton load for 60 feet in 26 seconds and said: "I pulled it with my right arm, the one I use for plastering.
"It is good training to swing it around for five hours a day at work. But I also eat lots of jacket potatoes and meat to keep my strength up."
Plant set the record at Ivy House, a unit for sick children, at Littleover, two miles from his home in Findern, near Derby, back in July.
It raised charity cash at a fun day at the centre.
The effort beat his own one-armed pull of a 13-ton lorry for 50 feet in 25 seconds last year.
Plant was known to train every morning by dragging his transit van along the road after a big breakfast.
He also had a world record for hauling a line of cars.
John Evans, 72, who holds a range of records by balancing weights on his head, paid tribute to Plant, saying: "He was a good friend and we worked together many times for charities.
"Even when he was ill, he talked of coming back."
Peter Dowdeswell, 69, who holds titles for swallowing large amounts of food, said: "He would always help handicapped people. He was one in a million."
- Athletics: Sh3.5m up for grabs at Eldoret City MarathonAthletics 2 days ago
- Reports: Spanish defender in London for Arsenal medicalFootball 22 hours ago
- Someone predicted Kobe Bryant's Death Basketball 16 minutes ago
- Middlesbrough complete signing of Kenyan youngster defenderFootball 23 hours ago
- Shujaa miss semi-final berth in Hamilton 7s contestRugby 1 day ago
- Man United fined by FA for players misconductPremier League 2 days ago
- Kobe Bryant tributes led by Barack Obama , CR7 and Michael JordanBasketball 9 hours ago