KPA keen to overcome Storms in semis play-offs
Former Kenya Basketball Federation (KBF) women’s premier league champions Kenya Ports Authority (KPA) will today take on Storms in game one of the best of five semi-final play-offs at Nyayo Gymnasium.
The dockers target a perfect start ahead of tomorrow’s game two as they hope to take a 2-0 lead in Nairobi before traveling back to Mombasa for the remaining ties. KPA will be looking to stage a repeat of last year’s semis where they beat Storms 3-0 to reach the final. KPA goes into the match on the back of a 2-0 win over Eagle Wings while Storms rallied from a game down to beat Strathmore University Swords 2-1 to set the semis date.
In another women’s semis encounter, defending champions Equity Bank Hawks will take on novices University of Nairobi (UON) Dynamites. The bankers will be out to stop the students’ impressive run that has seen them reach the last four after earning a promotion to the top tier.
Hawks, will, however, lack the services of Betty Kananu, who is out on injury sustained during the FIBA Zone five games held in Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania, last month. But Equity coach David Maina has found a replacement for Kananu in the upcoming Linda Alando.
Alando has been impressive for the bankers alongside Hilda Ndegwa and Belinda Okoth. Captain Esther Butali, Samba Mjomba, Annerose Mandela and Cynthia Mawero are keen to ensure they retain the title.
Dynamites will bank on the fighting spirit of skipper Trizah Akeyo, Faith Atieno, Elizabeth Okumu and Valarie Kemunto, who have been instrumental in their campaign.
In the men’s premier league title chase, champions KPA hope to complete the job today and advance to the semis when they play Strathmore Blades in game two of the best of three at Makande Hall, Mombasa. The dockers beat the students’ 86-73 in last weekend’s game one and a victory today will see them complete the semi-final line up.
- Torino 0-7 Atalanta: Ilicic bags hat-trick in epic Serie A tieFootball 1 day ago
- Mourinho responds to questions about reports of training ground bust-up with Danny RoseFootball 47 minutes ago
- Nairobi to host 2020 World Athletics Continental tourSports 2 days ago
- Title race intensifies as KPL resumes with seven matches Football 2 days ago
- Shujaa finish eighth in Hamilton SevensRugby 22 hours ago
- AS Roma stunned by success of missing children's campaignFootball 1 day ago
- PHOTOS: KDF Cross Country meet in ThikaAthletics 1 day ago