Man City 'make formal complaint' over referee Michael Oliver's performance in Liverpool defeat
Manchester City have reportedly made a formal complaint over the performance of referee Michael Oliver in the Blues' defeat to Liverpool at Anfield on Sunday.
City were beaten 3-1 by their rivals on Merseyside leaving them nine points off the title pace going into the current international break.
Pep Guardiola appeared to sarcastically thanks Oliver and his assistants at the end of the game, shaking their hands and saying: "Thank you so much."
But Guardiola had eccentrically remonstrated over decisions on the touchline, including the decision not to award two separate penalties to City.
The first - early in the game - would have seen Fabinho's sensational opener ruled out had VAR adjudged that Trent Alexander-Arnold had handled in the area just seconds before.
And, according to The Sun, City lodged an official complaint to PGMOL chief Mike Riley 24 hours after the game.
Riley is scheduled to give an update on VAR to clubs today at the 'shareholder' meeting in London.
But there is unlikely to be any radical shift in policy with Riley instead set to highlight the successes of the technology since its introduction at the start of the season.
VAR has received widespread condemnation as the campaign has progressed with even pro-VAR voices going back on their original opinion in light of the disruption the technology has caused.
- What awaits Sports PS Okudo following Uhuru Kenyatta’s Cabinet reshuffleSports 2 days ago
- Picking Tokyo team leaves Athletics Kenya bosses with sleepless nightsAthletics 2 days ago
- Bandari set sights on Football Kenya Federation (FKF) Cup defenceFootball 2 days ago
- Marita eyes league title after scoring on Tusker debutFootball 2 days ago
- Sportsman living with disability: Mutai, Mushai face-off in this year's Soya galaAthletics 2 days ago
- Why Kamworor will skip Africa cross country Athletics 2 days ago
- Billionaire who sold his Arsenal stake to Gunners’ owner secures naming rights to new Everton stadiumFootball 2 days ago