You are too old to be manager – Arsene Wenger told
Arsene Wenger has been told that he is too old to still be managing at the very top level of football.
The former Arsenal boss is the favourite to take over as manager of Bayern Munich following the sacking of Niko Kovac earlier this week.
But former Chelsea and France defender Marcel Desailly thinks that Wenger's day has already passed.
Wenger has been out of management since he called time on his 19-year reign at Arsenal in the summer of 2018.
He insists that he is ready and raring to go with a new management role in football and has publicly stated his interest in taking over at Bayern.
Desailly, however, remains unconvinced.
"No, he should not be in the dugout. It's not for him anymore," Desailly told BeIN Sports.
"He has great possibilities to restructure, to build up the philosophy of the club, towards the first team and the academy.
"But as a frontline, we don't see him anymore. He's 70 years old."
Bayern appear set to offer Wenger a deal to take over until the end of the season, with talks expected to take place this week in a bid to finalise a deal.
The German champions had wanted Ajax boss Erik ten Hag and PSG chief Thomas Tuchel as options, but both are unwilling to leave their jobs at the present moment.
Wenger speaks German fluently and already knows Bayern winger Serge Gnabry, who he managed during his time at Arsenal.
The Frenchman has already turned down job offers since leaving Arsenal, including a role as a technical director with FIFA.
- Mario Balotelli's own fans release statement backing racist supporters Football 2 days ago
- Kenya 7s team beat Uganda in Africa Men’s Rugby final to qualify for 2020 Olympic Games in TokyoRugby 2 days ago
- Chelsea go second with a 2-0 win over Crystal PalaceFootball 2 days ago
- Boxer dies after a freak accident in trainingBoxing 2 days ago
- Tottenham 1 – 1 Sheffield Utd: Spluttering Spurs held at home by Sheffield UnitedFootball 2 days ago
- Looking at this latest EPL table, do you think Man Utd can displace Arsenal?Football 2 days ago
- Arsenal beaten by Leicester Football 2 days ago