Polo: Samurai off to sound start in International tourney
Samurai defeated Toyota 9-6 as they made a formidable start in the White Cap Kenya International Polo Championships, which started at Nairobi Polo Club yesterday.
Starting the match from an equal footing of handicap 14 for both teams, both of them were determined to win it but it was the Samurai team of South African Tom De Bruins(6), Tanzanian Hansi Bruins(3.5), Raphael Nzomo(2.5) and Jules Camm(2.5) both of Kenya who carried the day.
Tom De Bruins scored five goals, Hansi and Nzomo a double for the winners spread in the four chukkas.
The tournament is coming at a time most of these players had participated in the 6-Goal Nairobi International Championships last weekend.
The opening win was a blessing for Samurai who had earlier promised to carry the day to increase their chances of lifting the title. The tournament is played in a round-robin format.
By winning it, Samurai takes the lead in table standings with three points from a match and are determined to win their next two matches for them to win the title in style according to Nzomo (Raphael) who was instrumental with quite a number of assists yesterday.
Toyota team members included handicap 4 South African Guy Watson and the Kenyan trio of Jamie Murray(5), Craig Millar(3.5) and Joss Craig(2).
Samurai face handicap 13.5 White Cap Lite this afternoon in their second match which they will be chasing victory and make their third match against White Cap tomorrow a formality.
Samurai against White Cap Lite will be at 1.30 pm while White Cap has a date with Toyota at 4 pm.
- Scotland in the slow lane as World Cup hopes dashed by JapanRugby 2 days ago
- Eliud Kipchoge nominated for prestigious global awardAthletics 2 days ago
- Bulgaria PM urges football chief to resign after England match racismFootball 1 day ago
- Bandari beat Coastal Union as they end Tanzania tourFootball 1 day ago
- Brigid, Chepkoech shortlisted for IAAF awardsAthletics 1 day ago
- Cross Country: Top stars set for Isaiah Kiplagat cross country showpieceAthletics 1 day ago
- Kipchoge arrives home after running marathon in under two hoursEliud Kipchoge 23 hours ago