Football: Malawi pip Starlets as juniors pick Cecafa slot
Harambee Starlets fall to Malawi in Olympic qualifier as Junior boys team books Cecafa final ticket.
China-based striker Tabitha Chawinga scored a brace as Malawi’s She Flames beat Harambee Starlets 3-2 in yesterday’s first leg match of the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Qualifiers in Blantyre.
The David Ouma coached side hope to overturn the deficit in Sunday’s return leg in Machakos.
The winners on aggregate will meet with either Ghana or Gabon in the next round of the competition.
Starlets assistant coach Jackline Juma blamed poor officiating for the defeat. “The referees were not fair at all. Their poor officiating demoralized the girls, but it’s not yet over. I am confident we will do well at home,” said Juma.
But it was a different scenario in Asmara, Eritrea as ten-man Kenya junior team beat Rwanda 4-2 in post-match penalties after a 1-1 draw in regular time to qualify for tomorrow’s final of the Cecafa U15 tournament.
Kenya will meet the winners between Uganda and Burundi, who were due to clash last evening.
The hosts took the lead in the 14th minute through Madina Nguluwe’s well-curved free kick at the edge of the box before deadball specialist Cynthia Shilwasto also scored from a free kick to draw level in the 34th minute.
Three minutes later, Malawi regained the lead when Chawinga combined well with her sister Temwa Chawinga to beat goalkeeper Annedy Kwamasi.
Chawinga completed her brace from the spot on the stroke of halftime after a Starlets defender was adjudged for infringement in the box before Corazone forced a fine save from Malawian goalkeeper Samir Amidu on the opposite end.
Kenya came back into the second half a more rejuvenated side piling more pressure on their hosts.[Rodgers Eshitemi]
- Manchester United target Bale set to stay at MadridFootball 2 days ago
- Why Man United must sack Woodward - Gary Neville Premier League 2 days ago
- Latest transfer update on Tottenham midfielder Victor WanyamaFootball 1 day ago
- Man Utd must sack Woodward for transfer market shortcomings - NevilleFootball 2 days ago
- Is this Bidco United’s yearSports 8 hours ago
- Five Harambee Starlets players making headlines in Europe [PHOTOS] Football 2 days ago
- Farah to face Bekele in Big Half race in LondonAthletics 21 hours ago