Boxers post mixed results in Morocco
Boniface Mogunde is Kenya's fourth boxer to secure a quarter-final berth at the African Games in Rabat, Morocco, on Friday night.
Mogunde beat Ethiopian Keralah Mesfin Bilu 3-0 in the three-round welterweight (69kg) clash at Amani Indoor Sports Centre in Rabat.
The third victory gave Kenyan boxers who have not entered the ring with confidence as they battle top notch boxers from the continent.
But Ethan Maina, the lightweight boxer, yesterday bowed out of the games. He became the third Kenya to exit the showpiece after he lost to Ghan’s Omar Abdul Wahib on unanimous points decision.
The performance fell short of expectations of the technical bench of a team that has since posted mixed results in the ring.
Others who have exited include Kenya Defence Forces light heavyweight (81kg) boxer Edwin Okong’o and National Women lightweight champion Evelyn Akinyi.
Okongo was beaten by Kaonga Mbachi of Zambia while Akinyi fell to Moula Khouloud of Tunisia.
Despite the loss, Boxing Association of Kenya technical director Albert Matito said he is hopeful that at least six boxers can make it to the last eight.
African Games lightweight (60kg) bronze medalist Nick Okoth, middleweight George Cosby and Olympian heavyweight Elly Ajowi have secured tickets in the quarter finals.
Okoth defeated Armando Moliko of Equatorial Guinea in featherweight while Cosby beat John Koudeha of Togo in middleweight. They both won in unanimous points decision.
Ajowi, a member of the Hit Squad at the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games, was the only boxer to have reached the last eight without throwing a jab.
He will this afternoon take on ArinzI Franklin Chukwidi of Nigeria.
Boxing Federation of Kenya president Anthony Jamal Ombok blamed wrangles within the federation for the dismal performances saying the team had a short time to prepare.
- Thika Queens yavizia taji la Ligi KuuFootball 2 days ago
- RB Leipzig boss reveals why some of his players wore different kits during match against TottenhamFootball 2 days ago
- China to play home leg of Olympic qualifier in Sydney due to coronavirusFootball 2 days ago
- World rugby chiefs to review transgender policiesRugby 2 days ago
- Blow for Liverpool: Henderson ruled out for three weeks with injuryPremier League 2 days ago
- Deontay Wilder v Tyson Fury – 22Bet ReviewSports 2 days ago
- Beach Volleyball: Coach Mulinge drops twoVolleyball and Handball 1 day ago