Champs Laiser Hill close in on Rugby Sevens title
East Africa rugby 7s defending champions Laiser Hill yesterday made it three wins out of three to increase their chances of retaining their title.
The Kenyan boys drubbed Uganda’s Kiira College 45-0 to maintain their unbeaten run.
Laiser Hill, who are chasing their second 7s title, began their campaign with a 24-5 win over Jinja Secondary School from Uganda.
They overpowered compatriots St Peter’s Mumias 19-14 in their second tie.
Laiser Hill captain Clinton Kioko, who is looking to lead his side to their second East Africa gong, said they will give their all in the remaining three matches.
“So far, so good because it is a round-robin contest and each victory is a step towards achieving our purpose,” Kioko said.
He added that they will face their toughest test today when their take on bitter rivals Upper Hill, who defeated them in this year’s Kenya national title.
“We expect tough duel against Upper Hill because they beat us at the nationals. But we are determined to defend our title and we will give our all in today’s clash.”
Against Kiira College, Kenya under-20 international Samuel Were scored three tries with Brunson Madigu, who has been impressive so far, touching down twice.
Kioko scored one try with Dan Kisakyamukama touching down once as well, before making a successful conversion.
Frederic Odongo was also splendid as he converted four times. Laiser Hill were home and dry going into the break as they enjoyed a commanding 31-0 lead.
National champions Upper Hill bounced back from 12-7 loss to Jinja to beat St Hanna also from Uganda 25-0.
Captain Brian Kimani Mubarak Wandera touched down twice each while Dennis Onyono scored one try.
Kimani said they will be out to win all their remaining matches or them to secure a podium finish.
- Kenyan charges off to fine start at African games showAthletics 1 day ago
- Manchester United injury list grows ahead of Europa League clashFootball 21 hours ago
- Champions League road to Istanbul beginsFootball 2 days ago
- Africa deaf athletes’ championships startAthletics 2 days ago
- Former football star passes away after battle with motor neurone diseaseFootball 23 hours ago
- USM Algier humble Gor Mahia in CAF Champions League matchFootball 2 days ago
- Kenya confident as inaugural Africa fiesta kicks offAthletics 2 days ago