Atletico Madrid sign England star from Tottenham Hotspur
England right-back Kieran Trippier has joined Atletico Madrid from Tottenham Hotspur, the Spanish club said on Wednesday.
Atletico said on their website they had signed a "fantastic and experienced player from the Champions League runner up" and added Trippier had agreed a three-year deal.
Spanish and British media said Atletico were paying Spurs a fee of 22 million euros ($24.7 million).
Trippier has played 16 times for England scoring one goal, direct from a free kick in the World Cup semi-final loss to Croatia last year.
He joined Spurs from Burnley in 2015 and made 114 appearances for the London club.
The signing continues an overhaul of the capital city outfit's backline.
Defenders Diego Godin, Filipe Luis and Lucas Hernandez have left, while Brazilian pair Renan Lodi and Felipe has already signed.
Coach Diego Simeone has also forked out 126 million euros for Portuguese teenager Joao Felix this summer.
- Kipchoge arrives home after running marathon in under two hoursEliud Kipchoge 2 days ago
- Wanyama speaks about transfer Football 2 days ago
- Mental strength key to Japan's preparation for South Africa clashRugby 2 days ago
- Ireland must frustrate the hell out of All Blacks, says D'ArcyRugby 2 days ago
- Boxer Patrick Day dies after being knocked outBoxing 2 days ago
- Italian football giant AS Roma launches Swahili Twitter account Football 1 day ago
- Third straight Golden Shoe for MessiFootball 1 day ago