Okari wins StarTimes Sports Personality June award
Kenya international basketball star Tyler Okari is the June StarTimes Sports Personality of the month.
Okari was instrumental in Kenya Morans Zone Five campaign last month in Kampala, Uganda, as the side made history bagging their first-ever men’s regional title. His unrivalled prowess in the game also earned him the competitions’ Most Valuable Player.
StarTimes regional marketing director Aldrine Nsubuga said: “The StarTimes Sports Personality of the Month award is now at the end of its second year. We are proud of the impact we have had in collaboration with the Sports Journalists Association. Through this, we have not only rewarded talent but equally challenged others to progressively excel in their individual disciplines.”
Okari received a StarTimes 43 inch digital television set and Sh100,000 prize. “I am delighted to receive this award, special thanks to the Sports Journalists Association of Kenya and StarTimes for recognizing what we do on the field. This is a good birthday gift for me,” Okari said.
He edged out Kenya Sevens player Andrew Amonde, who helped Shujaa avoid relegation during the season-ending Paris Sevens, Charles Mneria Yosei, who bagged silver in half marathon at the inaugural Africa Beach Games held in Sal, Cape Verde, men’s doubles beach tennis team of Fazal Khan and Ibrahim Yego who won bronze at the same event and the volleyball pair of Gaudencia Makokha and Naomie Too, who won bronze during the same competition.
The guard, who plays for Bakken Bears in Denmark, hopes to extend his good form to the Fiba Afrobasket Championship that starts this weekend in Bamako, Mali.
Okari becomes the 24th recipient of the award with notable winners including World marathon record holder Eliud Kipchoge. World 5000m champion Hellen Obiri, Paralympian Vincent Mutai, Telkom hockey forward Jackline Mwangi, swimmer Maria Brunhelner, chess player Sasha Mongeli, rally driver Manvir Baryan, boxer Judy Waguthi among many others.
- Former Barcelona, Man City legend signs for new clubFootball 1 month ago
- Chelsea star agrees new five-year deal hours after Lampard’s appointmentFootball 1 month ago
- How South Africa’s Bafana Bafana knocked out AFCON hosts Egypt Football 1 month ago
- Joe Kadenge burial billed at Sh5 millionFootball 1 month ago
- REVEALED! Why there is no SportPesa Mega JackpotFootball 2 months ago
- CORRECTION: Magufuli clip on Taifa Stars’ performance was taken out of contextSports 1 month ago
- Confirmed: Harambee Stars knocked out of 2019 AfconFootball 1 month ago