Okari wins StarTimes Sports Personality June award
Kenya international basketball star Tyler Okari is the June StarTimes Sports Personality of the month.
Okari was instrumental in Kenya Morans Zone Five campaign last month in Kampala, Uganda, as the side made history bagging their first-ever men’s regional title. His unrivalled prowess in the game also earned him the competitions’ Most Valuable Player.
StarTimes regional marketing director Aldrine Nsubuga said: “The StarTimes Sports Personality of the Month award is now at the end of its second year. We are proud of the impact we have had in collaboration with the Sports Journalists Association. Through this, we have not only rewarded talent but equally challenged others to progressively excel in their individual disciplines.”
Okari received a StarTimes 43 inch digital television set and Sh100,000 prize. “I am delighted to receive this award, special thanks to the Sports Journalists Association of Kenya and StarTimes for recognizing what we do on the field. This is a good birthday gift for me,” Okari said.
He edged out Kenya Sevens player Andrew Amonde, who helped Shujaa avoid relegation during the season-ending Paris Sevens, Charles Mneria Yosei, who bagged silver in half marathon at the inaugural Africa Beach Games held in Sal, Cape Verde, men’s doubles beach tennis team of Fazal Khan and Ibrahim Yego who won bronze at the same event and the volleyball pair of Gaudencia Makokha and Naomie Too, who won bronze during the same competition.
The guard, who plays for Bakken Bears in Denmark, hopes to extend his good form to the Fiba Afrobasket Championship that starts this weekend in Bamako, Mali.
Okari becomes the 24th recipient of the award with notable winners including World marathon record holder Eliud Kipchoge. World 5000m champion Hellen Obiri, Paralympian Vincent Mutai, Telkom hockey forward Jackline Mwangi, swimmer Maria Brunhelner, chess player Sasha Mongeli, rally driver Manvir Baryan, boxer Judy Waguthi among many others.
- Arsenal to hold talks with Carlo AncelottiPremier League 2 days ago
- Australian Barty named WTA Player of the YearTennis 2 days ago
- Tusker make light work of Wazito to go take league leadSports 2 days ago
- Zico dedicates Harambee Stars win to suspended KimanziFootball 2 days ago
- Malkia Strikers promise to deliver Olympics slotVolleyball and Handball 2 days ago
- Gritty Thunder strike Ulinzi WarriorsBasketball 2 days ago
- Man United and Liverpool in transfer battle to sign Bayer Leverkusen talentPremier League 2 days ago