Riotous celebrations after Mahrez's last-minute screamer, 282 arrested
A total of 282 people were arrested in France after unrest following the Algerian football team's qualification for the final of the Africa Cup of Nations, the interior ministry said Monday.
Riotous celebrations erupted around the country after Algeria beat Nigeria 2-1 in the semi-final. The arrests were made nationwide on Sunday evening, the ministry said.
Some of the arrests were also linked to unrest surrounding events marking France's national day celebrations on Sunday.
Unruly scenes erupted in Paris, Marseille and Lyon. Fifty people were arrested in the French capital and there were incidents between football fans and police on the Champs-Elysees avenue.
Dozens of cars were torched overnight in the eastern city of Lyon.
Interior Minister Christophe Castaner on Monday congratulated police and firemen for their "speedy reaction and professionalism which contained the violence and to the perpetrators" being apprehended.
Of those arrested, 249 people were in custody.
Last Thursday, when Algeria defeated Ivory Coast to reach the semi-finals, fans went on the rampage in central Paris, looting shops.
On the same day in the southern city of Montpellier, an Algerian football supporter celebrating his team's win lost control of his car at high speed and ran into a family, killing a woman and seriously injuring her baby.
Paris and Marseille are home to large minority communities of Algerian origin. Football celebrations, with supporters brandishing large national flags, have on occasion been a source of tensions.
- Man United boss Solskjaer favourite to be sacked next Gossip & Rumours 2 days ago
- FA hit back at Klopp and Guardiola Premier League 1 day ago
- Manchester United defender leaves Old Trafford on loanFootball 3 hours ago
- Bolt set to become father after announcing girlfriend is expectingSports 1 day ago
- Manchester United ‘clear out’ looms large – Solskjaer to get rid of playersGossip & Rumours 2 days ago
- Klopp rules out Liverpool sales in transfer windowPremier League 2 days ago
- Mutai to light up South Rift cross country meeting in Sotik tomorrowAthletics 1 day ago