Chelsea fans in meltdown over Frank Lampard return to Stamford Bridge as manager
Chelsea legend Frank Lampard made a sensational return on Thursday to the Stamford Bridge as manager ahead of the 2019/20 season.
Football fans around the world had their say following Lampard’s signing, sending social media into a frenzy.
Game Yetu can affirm that the majority of fans have welcomed him warmly but a few critics say Lampard is not ready and lacks the experience to handle a big club like Chelsea.
Addressing his first press conference after his unveiling, Lampard admitted returning to Stamford Bridge was a huge opportunity he couldn’t turn down the offer.
“Everyone knows my links to the club. I don’t want to label it as the ‘dream job’ but everyone knows how I feel towards the club. I love this club and I want to do my best for this club. Hopefully, we can be successful and competitive.
“We have to start with the intention to win – if I didn’t believe that then I shouldn’t be here. We want to play in the Champions League year in, year out and that will drive us all,” said an elated Lampard.
Lampard’s status as a Chelsea legend according to Livescore:
-Lampard won 11 major honours as a Chelsea player, including three Premier League titles and two European trophies.
- The Englishman holds the record for scoring the most goals for Chelsea in the club’s history, finding the back of the net 211 times. He has also scored the most Premier League goals for the club (147) and provided the most assists (90).
- Only four players have scored more goals for a single club in the Premier League than Lampard’s tally of 147 goals for Chelsea - Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Thierry Henry (Arsenal), Sergio Aguero (Manchester City), Alan Shearer (Newcastle United).
- During his Premier League career, Lampard holds the record for scoring against the most different teams in the competition (39) and scoring the most goals from outside the box (41), as well as being the highest-scoring midfielder in the competition’s history (177 goals).
- Brigid Kosgei wins Chicago Marathon breaking Radcliffe's record as Cherono wins men's raceAthletics 2 days ago
- Angry Farah hits back at critics in Salazar doping rowAthletics 2 days ago
- Mozambique 1-0 Kenya: Mambas bite Stars in friendly at KasaraniFootball 2 days ago
- Rugby: Lionesses hunt down, bag 2020 Olympic Games slotRugby 2 days ago
- Touchdown Forte win Autumn championshipsSports 2 days ago
- Scotland in the slow lane as World Cup hopes dashed by JapanRugby 1 day ago
- Eliud Kipchoge nominated for prestigious global awardAthletics 1 day ago